Is there ever a time when we’re not in the mood for French fries?
Share the goodness of this recipe from Elizabeth Van Lierde’s new book, Everyday Entertaining: 110+ Recipes for Going All Out When You’re Staying In, with friends in this runaway hit, and you’ll return to time and time again. This French fry platter with homemade ketchup, herby ranch, and “The Sauce” is our new go-to party dish. “There isn’t one of my friends that won’t tell you I’m obsessed with ketchup. Sometimes I joke about getting a small packet of ketchup tattooed on my body (it would be cute, no?!).
Ketchup is by far my favorite condiment, and I always order extra, especially with french fries,” writes Van Lierde. “Simple as this idea may be, whenever I put this french fry platter down with homemade dipping sauces, it’s almost impossible to turn this universal favorite food away,” she added. “Pick and choose your favorite fries and make one or all three dipping sauces for serving.”
GRILLED FISH TACOS WITH SWEET CORN SALSA: TRY THE RECIPE
You might have leftovers of each sauce, but iso youfiring up a grilled cheese or burger for dipping purposes is the way to go?
French Fry Platter
(This recipe is excerpted from Everyday Entertaining by Elizabeth Van Lierde.here).
Prep time: 15 min
½ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup ketchup
½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp cayenne pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, garlic powder, old bay or Cajun seasoning, and cayenne pepper until well combined.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least half an before serving to allow the flavors to come together.
- Sauce kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator is suitable for up to four to five days.
1 (6oz) can of tomato paste
⅓ cup brown sugar, honey, or agave
½ tsp kosher salt
⅛ tsp cayenne
½ tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp vinegar (white wine, apple cider, etc.)
¼ cup water
THE MAJORITY OFTHEIR BEST MEMORIES COME FROM FAMILY BARBECUES
- Combine tomato paste, brown sugar, salt, cayenne, garlic powder, vinegar, and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk until smooth.
- Bring mixture to a low boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 10-15 minutes, often stirring if the mixture becomes too thick, thin it out with one tablespoon of water at a time.
- Remove ketchup from heat and let cool to room temp. Transfer to a jar or covered container to chill.
- Add water in one-tablespoon increments until you have your desired consistency. Enjoy immediately, or store in an airtight container overnight to .
- Ketchup is good for one-to-two weeks in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
¼ cup buttermilk
1 cup mayonnaise
½ tsp fresh lemon juice
⅓ cup fresh herbs (dill, parsley, chives, etc.)
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
Cracked black pepper
- Whisk together buttermilk, mayonnaise, lemon juice, herbs, onion powder, and garlic powder in a small bowl. Taste test for salt and pepper and season accordingly.
- The ranch is good in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three-to-four days.
For the fries:
¼ lb crinkle-cut fries
¼ lb waffles fries
¼ lb curly fries
¼ lb tater tots
- Bake frozen fries according to package instructions (the rule of thumb is 425°F for about 25-30 minutes. Spread fries onto a large baking sheet in an even layer.
- Arrange dipping sauces in small a serving platter. Arrange warm fries onto the platter and serve immediately.
Other dipping sauces to try: